Thursday, February 4, 2010

One of the Largest of All Woodpeckers!



One of the most widely seen videos of Magellanic Woodpeckers is also one of the best!  It's this clip from The Eloquent Communicators episode from The Life of Birds series by David Attenborough.  Available for a long time on YouTube in poorer quality, this enhanced (in sight and sound) version comes from the BBC's Wildlife Finder site.  The BBC recently made it available at their site to viewers outside of the United Kingdom. *UPDATE - unfortunately, the high quality clip is no longer available, as far as I can tell. The video above comes from YouTube.*

The video is fascinating for the several double raps it shows the birds doing in response to Attenborough hitting a tree trunk with two stones.  It's also got fantastic flight footage that includes this bird's audible wingbeats and its signature, swooping style of landing on a tree trunk.  I prefer the small view version here rather than the full screen view.

6 comments:

Jay said...

Very nice video, and what an awesome experience for Sir Attenborough. I wish I could have his job.

Bill Benish said...

Thank Jay. Me too!

Chris said...

I remember this show of Attenborough and this videao... I even have it on DVD ;-) Beautiful isn't it?

Bill Benish said...

It sure is! I was surprised to learn how long ago the series was done, 1998.

Hernán Tolosa said...

Awesome woodpecker I finally found several of them this year, I have some pictures i nmy blog Aves de Argentina
Cheers

Bill Benish said...

Congratulations on finding the Magellanics, Hernán! They are amazing to watch in person. I look forward to seeing your photos at your blog.