Thursday, February 4, 2010

Carpintero

Originally posted 9/28/2010 - backdated to organize posts by topic.


Carpintero, originally uploaded by Jorge OK.
This is a male Carpintero Negro, also known as the Magellanic Woodpecker.

Thanks to Jorge Oyarce Kruger for sharing such a striking photo here!

He writes,  I also organize photo-safaris to watch birds in my my house and my terrains and find this awesome bird in my backyard, where there is a nesting place.  And from his site:  Ballenas.cl is an ongoing project that seeks to promote the protection of our natural resources and in particular the biodiversity of our country, particularly in the region of Los Lagos and Aysen.

Check out Jorge OK's site here: 

2 comments:

Linda said...

A fascinating read Bill about this amazing bird! Some time ago, I stood underneath one in the woods, as it was way up high, but I had my film slr with me and snapped a few photos. If the photo comes out, LOL, I would love to have your expertise on identifying which one it is...I watched him for the longest time, and the wood pieces almost fell on my head from his pecking. They are so wonderful to see and hear! Greetings, have a great week....Linda

Bill Benish said...

Thanks Linda. it's nice to hear about your own woodpecker encounter.

I look forward to seeing your photos! Bill