Saturday, January 30, 2010

Red-necked and Crimson-crested Woodpeckers, Together!

Originally posted 12/20/10 - backdated to organize posts by topic.

I was amazed when I discovered this photo because I do not recall ever seeing two species of Campephilus woodpeckers on the same tree, in the same photo!   The bird on the left is a female Red-necked Woodpecker.  The bird on the right is a male Crimson-crested Woodpecker.   This great image is posted here by permission of Michel Giraud-Audine.  He took this photo in Kourou, Cayenne in French Guiana. 

3 comments:

Dave M. said...

This is a very cool photo and it provides a nice comparison between C. woodpeckers.

Thanks for sharing = )

john said...

I have a so-so photo of a Pale-billed Woodpecker together with a Linneated Woodpecker. You can see the photo on my blog on the Nature Blog Network, The Life of a Painter, http://johnlofgreen.blogspot.com. The post is dated, April 13 2010. Titled More Nostalgia About Mexico. Feel free to use it if you like.

Bill Benish said...

Thanks a lot Dave. John, that is a great photo you have, and thanks for letting me post it here! I will definitely post it in the near future. I cannot recall ever seeing a photo with these two birds together as you've captured them.

Happy New Year!