Monday, February 8, 2010

Pájaro Carpintero vs Serpiente

Originally posted 10/9/10 - backdated to organize posts by topic.


This dramatic video of a male Crimson-crested Woodpecker defending its nest against a Yellow-bellied Puffing Snake has been around for quite a while.  I've resisted posting it here because I cannot trace it to its owners.   If anyone has the information on who this video belongs to, I'd be grateful to receive it so I can give due credit.

Here's an interesting comment from snakescientist on YouTube: 

For anyone interested, the snake species is Pseustes sulphureus, and are native to the Amazon river basin. They are non venomous, semi arboreal, and feed on rodents, birds, etc. Obviously, they are quite adept at raiding birds' nests and consuming nestling birds and eggs. The woodpecker is defending the nest site against attack.


Many of you have already seen this video.  If so, it's worth another viewing.  And I'm sure it will be a first-time view here for someone!

2 comments:

Chris said...

Wow that's a pretty amazing video you got there!

Bill Benish said...

Yes, whoever shot this video sure captured an amazing moment. It sounds like you haven't seen this video before Chris, so I'm glad I posted it!